sábado, 2 de noviembre de 2013

Wolf Brother

This semester has been as hectic as every semester usually is. However, it has a small difference: the raging storm in my mind grew bigger and, as of right now, has subsided for a moment. What has turned me into this nervous wreck is the presence of Aiden and his teachings. That and several other factors.

Aiden has taught me many things about me I didn't even have idea existed. One of them is my ability to instill psychological fear into any individual I wish. For this, I "read" said individual's movements, glances, and even personality to uncover their inner self. After I've done this, I begin mining their self esteem and confidence, observing with a smile how someone who believed was strong and powerful turns into a scared being who evades my eyesight if we ever cross paths. To picture the full extent of this gift I have, you should visit me at school someday. There's one guy there who absolutely evades my presence.

However, this "reading" I do of people isn't always aimed at causing harm. My nonexistent pack's numbers grew to two in these last months. I adopted a friend in need, my Wolf Brother, because... I'm not really sure why, I just felt I had to do so. We're quite similar, yet very different. He's going through some hard times, but seeing him as he is right now... It just breaks my soul. I met him a year ago, and the guy I met has completely disappeared. I met a proud dude, strong and brave, able to withstand some healthy (and sometimes not so healthy) intellectual competition from me. I met a guy who trusted in himself and knew he could be whatever the hell he wanted. I met a future Nobel Prize winner. Now, all that remains is a simple ghost, a shadow of his former self. He's lost his way (hard), so he became my Brother.

What does this has to do with my reading? Being the stubborn and hard-headed guy most of us met, my Brother didn't confide me any of his troubles. I had to find them one by one until he knew he could hide nothing from me. After that, he trusted me with his deepest secrets, which I really appreciate. I want to help him. I'm doing what I can to help him because I know he's brilliant. I know he's someone worth the trouble. I know he can become the greatest medic ever if he wants to. He has potential, but right now lacks confidence. I'm doing what I can because he's my Brother, and I won't let him fall even if that requires my life.

There's another issue, though. Knowing myself, and talking to a friend of mine two weeks ago, we reached the conclusion I could turn on and off my empathy. I can decide whether I care about something or not consciously. If I can do this, then why do I care about my Wolf Brother? What has made me look after him and do anything I can to help him?

The only answer I've been able to find right now is:

I hate to see him totally lost, without dreams and hopes, in a world he created where everyone thinks he's strong and independent while everyone ignores that pleading look in his eyes.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario